Accueil  >Dernières actualités

25-10-2018 09:20

Titre de séjour

How to obtain your "Titre de séjour"? Explanatory note by Vivre Ensemble En Quercy. Comment obtenir votre Titre de séjour ? Notice explicative par Vivre Ensemble En Quercy (VEEQ).

October 2018


Following the meeting about “Brexit” in Cahors earlier this summer with representatives from the British Embassy, British “expats” who plan to stay in France after Brexit were strongly advised to secure a Titre or Carte de Séjour as soon as possible. Given the current disastrous state of Brexit negotiations, a hard landing seems increasingly likely and the embassy’s advice should not be ignored if you want to stay in France.

The first step is to go onto the Tarn et Garonne préfecture site  and on the Home page, click on the blue box that says “prendre RDV”. Since the number of applications has increased recently, RDVs are now harder to get. If you have problems, apply very late on a Sunday or very early on a Monday before the week’s allocation of RDVs is filled.

1- Click on “RDV pour premier dépôt d’un titre de séjour” then
2- Download or copy the “fiche de renseignement” which must be handed over at your RDV – don’t forget the list of your family members on page 2 even if they don’t live in France.   On this same web page, click on the box at the bottom and on “Effectuer un RDV”.  Then,
3- Choose guichet A or B and click on “étape suivante”. If one doesn’t offer you a date, try the other guichet.
4- Click on “étape suivante” again.
5- Choose a date/time, then fill in the security code and click on “étape suivante”.
6- Fill in your address details etc and submit it, then you can exit the site (I think). You will receive an email to confirm, which you must respond to and re-confirm the RDV, within 40 minutes.


I am making an assumption here that you have a UK pension and/or you are part of the French health system AND, if you are looking for a permanent card, that you have lived in France for more than 5 years and have been declaring your income and/or paying French tax.  Essentially, you must prove that you (a) have somewhere to live (b) that you have a sufficient income to support yourself, (c) that all your health care needs can be dealt with and (d) that you are who you say you are!   This is what you need to take with you.

1- The “fiche” mentioned above….. filled in and signed.
2- Birth and marriage certificates. Plus divorce documents, if relevant. Translations should NOT be necessary for a carte de séjour.  Copies only needed.
3- Passport (original and copy).
4- TWO PHOTOS (passport sized 35x45mm).  Some applicants have been asked for THREE photos.
5- Proof that you have somewhere to live in the area – so, an invoice/bill/facture, addressed to you OR your partner at your home address from EDF, SAUR, or FRANCE TÉLÉCOM. It must be less than three months old.  Original and copy.  Since our EDF account is now online, I took copies downloaded from the internet, and this seemed to be fine.
6- Health info – the most recent “attestation assurance maladie” that relates to your Carte Vitale. NOT the carte Vitale itself.  Original and copy. You can find a recent “attestation” on the website of your relevant “caisse”- (eg: if you in receipt of a British pension, or RAM/RSI if you are an autoentrepreneur). If you are not part of the French health system yet, details about your private health insurance should be sufficient. Originals and copies.
7- Financial/tax information – your most recent “Avis d’impôt” if you have it, which you will have if you are declaring your income to the French tax authorities.  If not, info about UK pensions, rents etc.  If you have been declaring/paying tax in France for 5 years or more, and want a “permanent” card, you will need to produce your last five “Avis d’impôt” documents. Originals and copies.

We also took loads of other stuff which WAS listed on the website but they weren’t needed.  My advice would be to take it all with you anyway, just to be on the safe side. Note that not only is there no consistency between départements, but also among fonctionnaires of the same département!

1- Bank statements (French).  If you have been here many years, take several – one for every six months going back 5 years if possible.
2- Taxe Foncières and/or Taxe d’habitation bills.  The most recent.
3- Information relating to the purchase/rent of your home.


Chris Collister
Président, VEEQ